A lot of students are now in need of a khichuri recipe assignment as it needs to be written for their first week assignment for Class 8. Khichuri is one of the most common staple foods in our country. Especially, during rainy weather, khichuri is a must have that our moms cook for the family.
Khichuri is commonly eaten with meat curry, fried fish, fried eggs, etc. There are different varieties of khichuri. Vegetable khichuri is very healthy, so it is given to the children. Cooking khichuri neither needs a lot of ingredients nor any special skill. We can easily cook khichuri with common ingredients.
Take a look at the khichuri recipe assignment so that you can write it perfectly. Khichuri recipe assignment for class 8.
Khichuri is a traditional Bangladeshi recipe. This is a wholesome comfort meal of rice, lentils and vegetables, altogether. There are different ways of cooking Khichuri. Plain Khichuri generally prepared with rice and moong or masoor dal is the best food we can have when we are sick. It is one of the first foods that we give to our babies when they are 6-9 months old.
Khichuri is the easily chewable and digestible. That’s why it is the perfect meal for kids and elderly people. Khichuri is packed with lots of nutrition. People generally add vegetables to enhance its nutrition level. Khichuri also happens to be gluten free!
Read more: Pudding Recipe Assignment
Khichuri Recipe Assignment
For cooking delicious and healthy khichuri, we need the following ingredients.
- Rice – 500 gm
- Moog/Masoor Daal – 200 gm
- Oil – ½ cup
- Chopped onion – ½ cup
- Garlic Paste – 1 table spoon
- Ginger Paste – 1 table spoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 tea spoon
- Red chili powder – 1 tea spoon
- Cumin powder – 1 tea spoon
- Green chilies – 4/5 pcs
- Cinnamon, Cardamom, and Bay leaves
- Salt – as required
How to Cook Khichuri?
At first, wash rice and dal thoroughly. It is better to soak the dal for a few hours so that it cooks well. Wash everything again and drain well.
Then, put some oil in a pan and heat it up. Once the oil gets hot, add cinnamon, cardamom, and bay leaves to the oil. Quickly add chopped onions and stir fry. Also, add garlic and ginger paste to the pan and fry them for a few minutes. Add some salt to taste.
Then, add powdered spices like turmeric powder, red chili powder, and cumin powder. Also, add slit green chilies for some extra spice and aroma. Continue stirring so that the spices don’t get burnt. If necessary, add some water and continue frying.
Then, add the washed dal to the pan and mix it well with other ingredients. Cook this on medium heat for a few minutes.
After that, add the rice and mix everything together. Cook all these for some more minutes. Then, add enough water and cover the pan. Let it cook for 20 minutes until the dal and rice are completely done. Before removing the pan from the heat, add some ghee and fried onions for extra tase.
You can also keep the khichuri on dum for several minutes. Dum is the process to make the khichuri yummier and more digestible. Keep it on the hot oven for another 10/15 minutes but be careful so that the khichuri doesn’t get burnt.
Finally, remove the pan from the heat and serve hot khichuri with meat curry, fried fish, or fried eggs. You can also serve onion or pickle to complement it.
Why Khichuri Is a Healthy Food?
- Khichuri is a wholesome meal that has the perfect balance of nutrients. The combination of rice, lentils and ghee provides you with carbohydrates, proteins, dietary fibre, Vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium.
- Khichuri soothes the stomach and the intestines, making it the perfect meal for when you’re sick, but also a good change from food that is loaded with spices.
- Khichuri is a staple food of the Ayurvedic diet, as it has the ability to balance all the three doshas – Vatta, Pitta and Kapha, making it a tridoshic food.
- People who are avoiding gluten either out of choice or necessity can safely eat khichuri, since rice doesn’t contain gluten.
Cooking tasty khichuri isn’t very difficult than writing the khichuri recipe assignment. If you can understand the format from this khichuri recipe assignment, you can later write other recipes as well. Also, you will find all the other assignments here for your convenience.