BCS exam is one of the most competitive exams in our country for securing a government job. A large number of candidates every year participate in the BCS exam after taking really great preparation. English literature is one of the most important parts of the BCS questions. In this article, we would like to discuss the BCS English Literature Question so that you can have a great command over this section.
BCS English Literature Question Collection (10th – 43rd BCS)
We know you all are very serious about your BCS job preparation and exam. To provide you greater benefits, we have come up with the collection of BCS English literature question that includes questions from 10th BCS to 40th BCS. If you go through all these questions and answers, you will get an excellent idea of the BCS English literature question pattern and strategy. To get all the questions, you need to click on the link here.
BCS English Literature Question and Answer
We have provided not only the BCS English literature question but also the answers to those questions. So you will have more benefits while taking your preparation. You will get questions and answers in one place. So it will be great if you visit our website regularly to go through the questions and answers.
43th BCS English Literature questions solution
41th BCS English Question and solution
- ‘Shylock’ is a character in the play-
A. Twelfth Night
B. The Merchant of Venice
C.Romeo and Juliet
D. Measure for Measure
- ‘Vanity Fair’ is a novel written by-
A. D. H. Lawrence
B. William Makepeace Thackeray
C. Joseph Conrad
D. Virginia Woolf
- ‘Pip’ is the protagonist in Charles Dickens’ novel-
A.A Christmas Carol
B. A Tale of Two Cities
C. Oliver Twist
D. Great Expectations
- ‘Lady Chatterley’s Lover’ was written by the author of –
A. Lord Jim
B. The Rainbow
D. A Passage to India
- The poem The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock’ is written by-
A. W. B. Yeats
B. T. S. Eliot
C. Walter Scott
D. Robert Browning
- The play The Birthday Party is written by-
A. Samuel Beckett
B. Henry Livings
C. Harold Pinter
D. Arthur Miller
- Who is the author of the first scientific romance The Time Machine?
A. H. G. Wells
B. Samuel Butler
C. Henry James
D. George Moore
8.‘Why, then, ’tis none to you, for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it s ’. This extract is taken from the drama –
A. King Lear
C. As You Like It
- “Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will To strive to seek, to find, and not to yield” is taken from the poem written by –
A. Robert Browning
B. Matthew Arnold
C. Alfred Tennyson
D. Lord Byron
- Who is not a romantic poet?
A. P. B. Shelley
B. S.T. Coleridge
C. John Keats
D. T. S. Eliot
- In Shakespeare’s play Hamlet, Hamlet was prince of –
- Adela Quested and Mrs. Moore are characters from the novel –
A. David Copperfield
B. The Return of the Native
C. A Passage to India
D. Adam Bede
- Time held me green and dying, Though I sang in my chains like the sea. These lines have been quoted from Dylan Thomas’ poem –
A. The Flower
B. Fern Hill
C. By Fire
D. After the Funeral
- Was this the face that launch’d a thousand ships. And burnt the topless towers of Ilium? Who speaks the famous lines?
- The Character ‘Alfred Doolittle’ is taken from Shaw’s play titled-
B. Man and Superman
C. The Doctor’s Dilemma
D. Mrs. Warren’s Profession
40th BCS Exam English Literature Question
- Sweet helen, make me immortal with a kiss. The sentence has taken from the play — Doctor Faustus
- What’s in name? That which we a call a rose by any other name smell as sweet’- Who said this— Romeo
- Man’s love is of man’s life a thing apart. ‘Tis woman’s whole existence- this taken — Lord Byron
- Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam translate by — Edward FitzGerald
- Ulyses is a novel written by —James Joyce
- The Diamond Necklace was written by — Guy de Maupassant
- All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand- who said— Lady Macbeth
- Where are the songs of spring? Aye, where are they? Think not of them, thou hast thy music too.—Keats’ Poems (To Autumn)
- Who is the central Character of `Wuthering Heights’ — Heathcilffs
- The old order changeth, yielding place to new- this line is extracted from Tennyson’s poem — Morte d Arthur
11.Who wrote the ‘Poem Good-Morrow? —-John Done
12.The Rape of the Lock, by Alexander Pope—mock Heroic poem
- Which of the following is not American — W. B Yeats
- William Shakespeare was born—1564
38th BCS Exam English Literature Question
- “Jecobean Period” of English Literature refers to —1603-1625
- Where do the following lines occur in? “Alone, alone, all, all alone, Alone on a wide,k wide sea ……The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
- “For God’s sake hold your tongue, and let me love.” This line is written by —- John Donne
- Of the following authors, who wrote an epic?—- John Milton
- Who is not a Victorian poet? — Alexander Pope
- The play “The Spanish Tragedy” is written by—-Thomas Kyd
- Who among the following Indian English writers is a famous novelist?—- R.K. Narayan
- Which period is known as “The golden age of English literature?— The Elizabethen age
- Who is the author of “Man and Superman”? —G.B. Shaw
- The most famous satirist in English literature is — Jonathan Swift
- The literary term euphemism means— in offensive expression.
37th BCS English Literature Question
- “Gerontion” is a poem by —- T. S. Eliot
- Fill in the blank.”—” Is Shakespeare’s last play. —–Tempest
- Who has written the poem “Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard”? —–Thomas Gray
- Who has written the play ‘Volpone’? —–Ben Jonson
- Shakespeare composed much of his plays in what sort of verse? —– Iambic pentameter
- The repetition of beginning consonant sound is known as—— alliteration
- Which of the following is not a poetic tradition? ——-The Occult
- What is a funny poem of five lines called? —– Limerick.
- Who wrote “Biographia Literaria”? ——–S. T. Coleridge
- Robert Browning was a —-poet. Fill in the gap with appropriate word—- Victorian.
- Othello gave Desdemona—-as a token of love: —— Handkerchief.
- P.B. Shelley’s Adonais’ is an elegy on the death of—– John Keats.
- The comparison of unlike things using the words like on as is known to be—– simile.
- ‘Restoration period’ in English literature refers to —–1660.
- ‘The Sun Also Rises’ is a novel written by—— Earnest Hemingway
36th BCS Exam English Literature Question
1.”Elegy written in a country churchyard “is written by— Thomas Gray
2.Shakespeare’s “Meausure for Meausure” is a successful — comedy
3.The romantic age in English Literature began with the publication of —Preface to Lyrical Ballad
4.Which of the following books is written by Thomas Hardy? —The Return of the Native
5.”Frailty thy name is women”is a famous dialogue form —W.Shakespeare
6.The poem “The Solitary Reaper”is written by—W.Wordsworth
7.The Merchant of Venice is a Shakespeare play about —a jew
8.The play Candida is by—G.B.Shaw
9.Which of the following writer’s belongs to the romantic period in English Literature—S.T.Coleridge
10.The climax of a plot is what happens—at the height
11.London Town is found a living being in the works of — Charles Dickens
12.”Child is the father of man” is taken from the poem of— W.Wordsworth
13.Man is the political animal -who said this? —Aristotle
14.Who is the known as “the poet of nature”? —W.Wordsworth
15.A passage to india is written by —E.M.Forster
- “Gitanjali”of Rabindranath Tagore was translated by — Gitanjali অনুবাদ রবীন্দ্রনাথ নিজেই করেন কিন্তু তার নাম অপশনে নাই। অপরদিকে “Gitanjali” এর অনুবাদ “Song offerings” এর ভূমিকা লেখেন W.B Yeats।
17.Who of the following writer’s was not a novelist? —W.B.Yeats
35th BCS Exam English Literature Question
1.”All at once I saw a crowd, a host of golden daffodils” —Wordsworth.
- Who among the following writers is not a Nobel Laureate? — Grahame Greene.
- The play “Arms and the Man “is by— George Bernard Shaw.
- The “climax “of a plot is what happens— at the height.
- Othelo is Shakespeare’s play about— A Moor.
- In the 18th century, the Mughal Empire begin to— disintegrate
- The poem “Isle of Innisfree”is written by— W.B.Yeats
- Riders to the Sea is— a one-act play.
- Which of the following writers belong to the Elizabethan period? —Christopher Marlowe
10.”To be or not to be that is the question “-is a famous dialogue from—Hamlet.
- Find the odd man out— George Eliot.
- Find the odd man out — As I Lay Dying.
31st BCS Exam English Literature Question
Wordsworth introduced the reader’s — a new kind of poetry. — to
32nd BCS Exam English Literature Question
The sentence “who would have thought Shylock was so unkind “Express— Wonder
29th BCS Exam English Literature Question
1.”Into the — of death rode the six hundred. “—valley.
2.”To be or not to be, that is the —-” — question.
3.”I have a —- that one day this nation will live out of the true meaning of its creed that all men are created equal.” —dream.
- Who wrote the two famous novels, “David Copperfield “and “The Tale of Two Cities” —Charles Dickens.
- Who wrote the plays,”The Tempest “and”The Mid Summer Night’s Dream”? —Shakespeare.
28th BCS Exam English Literature Question
1.”Animal Farm “was written by— George Orwell.
- Who did write first English Dictionary? —Samuel Jonson.
3.”If winter comes, can spring be far behind”? These lines were written by—Shelley.
21st BCS Exam English Literature Question
Which of the following best describes the author’s attitude towards learning? — Learning is a matter of promoting creativity in students.
17th BCS Exam English Literature Question
Any one of the following pairs are literary collaborators — Shelley and Keats.
Browning was the composer of any of the following poems— Andrea Del Sarto.
15th BCS Exam English Literature Question
- The “Poet Laureate “is— the court poet of England
- Which of the following school of literary writings is connected with a medical theory? —Comedy of Humorous.
- Who of the following was both a poet and painter? —Blake.
4.”Plebiscite “is a term related to— Politics.
- Who wrote “Beauty is truth, truth is beauty”? —Keats.
- Which of the following ages in literary history is the latest? —The Georgian Age অপশনে যেগুলো ছিল তার মধ্যে latest ছিল The Georgian Age.
- In Which Century was the Victorian Period? —19 century.
- A person who writes about his own life– an autobiography.
- Shakespeare is known mostly for his — plays.
14th BCS Exam English Literature Question
1.”Paradise Lost” attempted to— justify the ways of God to Man.
- What is the full name of the great American short story writer O’Henry? — William Sydney Porter.
13th BCS Exam English Literature Question
- The Rainbow is— a novel by — D.H.Lawrence.
2.”Tom Jones”by Henry Fielding was first published in— the first half of 19 Century.
- The Literary work “Kubla Khan” is— a verse by Coleridge.
- What was the real name of the great American short writer, O’Henry? —William Sydney Porter.
- T.S Eliot was born in—USA.
12th BCS Exam English Literature Question
- Who is the greatest modern English Dramatist? —George Bernard Show.
- Who is the modern philosopher who was awarded Novel Prize for Literature? —Bertrand Russell.
- Who is the author of “A Farewell to Arms”? —Ernest Hemingway.
- Who is the most famous satirist in English Literature? —Jonathan Swift.
11th BCS Exam English Literature Question
- Who is the poet of Victorian age? —Robert Browning.
- Who is the author of “For Whom the Bell Tolls”? —Ernest Hemingway.
3.”Justice delayed is Justice denied “was stated by— Gladstone.
10th BCS Exam English Literature Question
- Who is the author of “A Farewell to Arms”? — Ernest Hemingway.
- Who is the author of “Animal Farm”? —George Orwell.
- Who is the author of “India wins Freedom “? —Abul Kalam Azad.
We assure you that no answer to the questions is wrong as we have solved all these questions by some BCS cadres. So you can rely on these answers without any hesitation. If you want to get all the answers to the BCS English literature question, you need to click on the link here.
- BCS Written Exam Syllabus & Marks Distribution
- BCS Exam Question Solution Preliminary MCQ
- BPSC Non Cadre Job Circular
We have provided all the answers to the BCS English literature question in an orderly manner. This will help you take preparation step by step. We believe that our endeavor will help you to get a job in your upcoming BCS exam. Wish you all the best for your Govt Job exam preparation.